Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Back at it.... H - O - T!!!!


After two days of rest since the PR setting Geist Half marathon, I ran a short 3 miles to survey my body today. Boy, was it a hot one. My pace was okay at 7:30/mi., but I could still feel the effects of the race. My thighs were sore and my upper body was a little wary. Hills probably were not too smart, but I always like a good challenge. After a race, I usually like to give my legs some rest time before a long distance run; therefore, this week's mileage will be small. Saturday may be a flat run to ramp performance back at a high level.

TIP: This may be considered common knowledge, but with the temperature increasing, drinking more fluids and reducing your pace is crucial. Do not be stubborn! Take breaks when you feel like you need to and SLOW DOWN! These suggestions are even more important when running alone. You never know when the worst may happen. Here are some signs of dehydration:

If the dehydration is allowed to continue unabated, when the total fluid loss reaches 5% the following effects of dehydration are normally experienced:

Increased heart rate
Increased respiration
Decreased sweating
Decreased urination
Increased body temperature
Extreme fatigue
Muscle cramps
Headaches
Nausea
Tingling of the limbs

When the body reaches 10% fluid loss emergency help is needed IMMEDIATELY! 10% fluid loss and above is often fatal! Symptoms of severe dehydration include:

Muscle spasms
Vomiting
Racing pulse
Shriveled skin
Dim vision
Painful urination
Confusion
Difficulty breathing
Seizures
Chest and Abdominal pain
Unconciousness

HAPPY RUNNING!
http://jamesrunsthenation.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment