Thursday, June 24, 2010

New Shoes (3 Pair) & Training Changes





I have not posted to my blog in three weeks due to training hard and trying some new techniques, variances, and shoes. First, the shoe I have been waiting on finally came in: the Vibram 5 Finger KSO. This shoe is shaped to your foot, toes and all, and works as a barrier between your foot and the surface, made to strengthen your feet. Here is a brief review of the 3 pair of shoes implemented into my training program:

Vibram 5 Finger KSO
The typical human foot is an anatomical marvel of evolution with 26 bones, 33 joints, 20 muscles, and hundreds of sensory receptors, tendons and ligaments. Like the rest of the body, to keep our feet healthy, they need to be stimulated and exercised.
That’s why we recommend wearing FiveFingers for exercise, play, and for fun. Stimulating the muscles in your feet and lower legs will not only make you stronger and healthier, it improves your balance, agility and proprioception.
In just over a year, the KSO has become our most popular model for men. Featuring a thin, abrasion-resistant stretch nylon and breathable mesh upper that wraps your entire forefoot to "Keep Stuff Out." A single hook-and-loop closure helps secure the fit. A non-marking 3.5mm Vibram TC1 performance rubber sole is razor-siped for a sure grip, and a 2mm EVA insole enhances plating protection and comfort.
KSO IS BEST FOR: Running, Light Trekking, Climbing/Bouldering, Running, Fitness, After Sport, Water Sports, Yoga/Pilates & Travel
http://www.vibramfivefingers.com
I have wore these shoes around a little bit and ran twice in them - 2 1/4 mile runs at a 10 min/mi pace - and they are truly awesome. You really do not know the shoes are there unless you look down. The 5 Fingers take adaptation so you cannot overdo it. Slowly increasing mileage will strengthen your feet and reduce the risk of injury.

Saucony Progrid Ride 3
Saucony has come a long way with the running shoe. As the name grows, this company is emerging with great technology, feel, and an ultra comfortable running shoe in the Ride 3. This neutral shoe that provides a flexible cushioned ride from heel to toe.
Being my first experience with Saucony, I was astounded. I have ran short. mid, and long distances on road and treadmill and enjoyed the comfort in every mile. (Weight: 11.5 oz.)
http://www.saucony.com (Search: Progrid Ride 3)

Saucony Progrid Kinvara
Wow, I have found a new racing shoe! The Kinvara is a neutral running shoe that allows your foot to run uninhibited. Although not for training, this lightweight, flexible shoe weighs in at a mere 7.7 ounces. Kinvara won the best Runner's World debut in June 2010. There is not too much to say because this is not a shoe made for comfortable training, it is made for comfortable, efficient racing. I have ran one time in the shoe and achieved my quickest pace of the season. We'll take for a ride in the Joker's Wild Half Marathon July 18th.
http://www.saucony.com (Search: Progrid Kinvara)

Satisfaction in three consecutive shoes is rare for a critic like myself, especially with the anticipation that built up inside me to test each in a training run. All were great choices and each will be implemented into my training program and race goals.

Training Runs
Normally, I break down each training run by mileage, pace and total time; however, in this post I intend to share a little about my progress and some changes I have implemented into my training routine to get faster. I struggled with some IT Band troubles in my left knee toward the beginning of 2010, which is the reason for some of these changes.
1) One of the initial efforts in my training was to avoid running on one side of the road and mix it up with each side and some sidewalks. The way streets are paved, they peak in the middle and decline toward the outsides, putting extra pounds of pressure on the runner's outside leg. I felt this was the big reason for my injury.
2) To preserve my legs, knowing I will need them for the rest of my life, I have implemented at least one treadmill run per week. Currently, due to the heat, about half my runs are on the treadmill. The treadmill provides a much softer, flatter surface that relieves pressure on ankles, knees, hips and muscles. Some advantages I have found with the treadmill is maintaining a targeted pace, avoiding extreme heat, and speed-work. This may be a boring way to run; however, if you really push yourself to get faster, the time and miles fly by. My speed-work consists of a short warm-up, then 5-10 sets of a 1 to 2 minute intense pace with a 1-2 minute rest, concluded by a short warm-down and 15-30 minutes of hydrating and stretching.
3) In an attempt to get faster and stronger, I follow each of my treadmill runs with a 1/4 mile run in the Vibram 5-fingers. These will strengthen my feet and make them relieved to have the cushion of training shoes. My goal is to run a race in the 5 fingers but taking the necessary steps to adapt to these shoe is critical.

TIP: Anytime a new product is purchased with the intention to implement into a training routine, DO NOT OVER DO IT! This quick change increases the possibility of injury. Think of it this way: your body is has adapted to the shoes you have been running in. Shoes have a break-in period and new products need to be tested before they are taken during a race or long run. Shoes may cause blisters that become very uncomfortable during a run. Wear new shoes around the house or run 2 or 3 short runs in them to get a good feel. Remember, you may feel some minor aches in the break-in period due to natural lower body adjustments.

HAPPY RUNNING!
http://jamesrunsthenation.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment