Friday, November 4, 2011

2011 Big Hit Half Marathon - Its Outta Here!

Fall race season brings colder temperatures and the Big Hit Half Marathon had just that - 30 degree temperatures at race time.
The mileage had been great, my body was feeling no pain, and training was going well; however, I still could not set an expectation for my performance. The Carmel Half I felt terrible and still produced a good time and the Park2Park in Holland, MI I felt mediocre and came in at a time I was not satisfied with, although injured. With both of these races behind me, I knew heat would not be a factor and just focused on a good run.
Thomas and I met at the Expo at Slugger Field Saturday morning. While there was not too many booths, the vendors there were very generous and informative. The guy at Sweaty Sheep was awesome! Along with good advice, he gave me a sleeveless running shirt I wore for the race - with pride I may add (I donated too)! Packet pickup went smooth. There was buzz about the shirt being too small - I thought the sizing was perfect. The trophies were on display as well - Louisville Slugger Bats custom-made for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in each age group.
Race day was a little chilly at 30 degrees. I was feeling good though and usually that means I will run a good race. I met up with Thomas, we took or tradition pre-race picture, and we got ready to go with some light stretches and a quick pee. I have come to expect the anthem at the start; therefore, when I heard the race countdown, I was a little surprised. Off I went, to run another race, the KDF route, through my hometown of Louisville. Here is how it went:
I "called my shot" in the pre-race photo
Miles 1-3: I felt pretty darn good for a cold Sunday morning in October. The route was familiar - flat and fast - and there was no worry of heat so I knew I could push it a little harder. I felt great through this leg of the run. Nothing too exciting about the course, though it was really well organized. West then back East to 3rd Street while averaging a 7:10/mi pace. Not to shabby, and I felt great.
Miles 4-6: A straight shot up 3rd made this part simple. No turns, just a steady 7:06/mi pace, cold weather, cheering crowd support and a nice stride. I knew the "Cardinal Hill" was coming and I was ready.
Miles 7-11: Over the hill on Central Avenue with sights of historic Churchill Downs - where I bet on horse racing but never win money, Starbucks - where Thomas and I start and finish our 10-mile-run and enjoy a hot beverage after, and Papa Johns Stadium - where the Louisville Cardinals play football (or whatever they call it, LOL! - disclaimer, I'm a UK fan). Regardless, those are some pretty cool views along with all the Victorian Mansions in Louisville lining 3rd Street. Coming back over the hill I knew I had a lot in the tank, still averaging a 7:02/mi pace! We ran north up 3rd and back to downtown. 
Miles 12-13.1: Mile 12 and 13 were awesome to say the least. I cannot honestly say I ran my hardest and averaged a 6:35/mi pace for these two miles! Truly awesome for me, almost like dashing. I headed the rest of the way down 3rd, then worked my way into Louisville Slugger Field and headed for home plate! I crossed the finish line impressed with a great time! Here are my results:


Out of around 2,000 people I was satisfied with my place and the 7:00/mi pace was my best average since the downhill North Carolina race! Many things about this course made me more comfortable: Being born and raised in Louisville, I knew the course. The straight up 3rd and back down make the mileage easier to endure due to no turning. Lastly, I set a PR this Spring in the KDF on this very course - I knew I would do well. I am extremely satisfied with this outcome in this race.
As far as the Inaugural organization of the 2011 Big Hit Half Marathon, I thought the organizers put on a darn near ideal race. The starting line was comfortable and the course was overall well organized. There were historic sites and challenges. Along the route, out-of-towners and locals got a birds-eye-view of UofL, up close, twice, Papa John's Cardinal Stadium, Churchill Downs, Slugger Field, the Louisville Slugger Museum, the Waterfront, and to top it all off, we finished on the baseball field on home plate! I'm sure I left a few out but that covers a lot! In addition, I loved the finish line technology - we immediate receive a receipt with unofficial time, splits and rankings. Keep all this up and make a few adjustments in 2012, and the race will become ranked in Runner's World as one of the best in the nation.
FEEDBACK FOR THE ORGANIZERS:
You can tell I was overly-satisfied with this race in many aspects, just a few adjustments I would make, which were all toward the end:
(1) I had to ask two times which way I was going as I came to the north end of 3rd. At the pace I was going, this broke my focus a little. The person was helpful though.
(2) If possible, I would take right on Central and loop at the Main Gate of Churchill Downs. Runners would go over the hump on Central and somehow work their way back to 3rd. This would give an up close look at PJ Stadium. I haven't worked out all the detail, just throwing ideas out there.
(3) Great job with the walkers for the most part; however, the 1/4 marathon walkers had built a wall on Main Street in the approach to the finish. Please encourage these folks to stay to one one side and the runners on the other. With two races, this would be more organized.
(4) The last step in technology would be to get the race bibs with the sensor instead of the chip on the shoe. To some its annoying but not a hinderance to me.
(5) The tarp approaching home plate was great; however, under the surface was dirt and grass. I chose the grassy side and almost tripped. I would do something to make the surface even and solid.
(6) Lastly, is the charge for parking and the iRun stickers. We pay a pretty pricey entree fee for these races to pay $5 to park in the Humana or Slugger Lot, when nothing else is going on in the vicinity. As a local, I parked elsewhere but just saying. And the sticker, I bought one for $3; however, it should have been in our race packet.
As my feedback comes in mostly suggestions, you can see this race was awesome. The first year was successful from my perspective and I know the second will be better. Perhaps purple shirts next year with black and white lettering??? Thank you all for putting on a great event my hometown of Louisville can truly be proud of.
Thomas and I post race.
In addition to a personally successful race, my friend Thomas Hines had an even better one, finishing just over 1:30:00. He has set goals to average a 7:15/mi pace in the Goofy Challenge at Walt Disney World in January 2012 and run the 2012 Boston marathon in 3:10. After Boston, we will be training him for Grandmaster competition to begin in 2013. I know you can do it my friend. Maintain your incredible strength and work ethic and the sky is the limit. Remember what I tell you, spread your wings and fly! 
As for me, my next endeavor is 10 miles on November 6, which is National Run Day, and on November 12 I am running in the Louisville Sports Commission Half Marathon. If the medal is what I think it is (pictured below), I will be pumped! More races will come up and be scheduled soon. I freakin' love this stuff! Happy Halloween, Happy Thanksgiving, and HAPPY RUNNING!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. I would have liked to hear the Nation Anthem to ... Good report.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great job of writing and running. I am so glad you are doing the things you love to do. I always feel like I was there with you when I read the articles.
    Love Mom.

    ReplyDelete