Monday, January 2, 2012

Runners - Happy 2012 - Enjoy Yourself

My wife gifted me a book for Christmas this year titled The Runner's Book of Daily Inspiration by Kevin Nelson, written in 1999. Daily reads are dated by calendar day and geared to provide motivation and instruction. While I love to run, I do believe those of us that do not run for a living need motivation at times. Whether the wind is gusting, temps are 100 degrees or below zero, or you find something interesting on television, there are times when we just need that extra push. Today's excerpt reads:

January 2: "How much happiness is gained, and how much misery is escaped, by frequent and violent agitation of the body." -Samuel Johnson
The main goal of running is not to finish first, or run faster than you have ever run before, or beat your competitors, although any one of these can be, at times a very worthy goal.
The main goal of running is to enjoy yourself. Whenever you run, keep that in mind.
There is one indisputable rule of the roads: If you do not enjoy running, you will not run. If you do not run, you will not reap the benefits from it.
Everything starts with fun, a sense of play. Lacking that, all is lost. Though runners often work desperately hard at it, most love what they do and get an elemental charge from it. To borrow a line, at the heart of every runner is a little boy or girl.
Inevitably some days seem like more like work than pleasure. When this occurs, ask yourself, Are you focusing too much on duty and routine, times and mileage? Every day is a good day when you run. Remember that, and you'll be fine.
Resolved: I remember to enjoy myself when I run.

When I read this morning, I was reminded of how much I love to run in the rain, snow, slop and mud and I smiled. I believe I run because it keeps me feeling good and young, I battle the age anchor, and I resist to feel like many people often say they do. When running on muddy trails, I feel like a kid again, welcoming  the mud on all over me and often laughing when I turn that corner and take a tumble. I thought about how motivated I am by entering miles into all my storage sources and enjoying the accumulation toward a monthly goal. I could go on and on!
Charging into a New Year full of resolutions and desires to change, I challenge you to take up running as a hobby and you to challenge your friends to do the same. If you do not already run, and you enjoy it, you will find a healthy addiction and a new-found passion. Remember to enjoy running, set goals, cross finish lines and set new goals.
Find your enjoyment in running and, more importantly, find what motivates you. Whether to get active, lose weight, create confidence, or simply do something to be proud of, running brings more benefits than you will ever imagine - so stick to those resolutions!
Best of luck in 2012!
HAPPY RUNNING!!!!!

2011 Stats: 1,440.93 miles, 145,062 calories burned, 172:54:10 h:m:s spent on workouts!

Scheduled races for 2012:

UPCOMING RACES

  • 2/12/12 Mercedes Half Marathon Birmingham, AL
  • 3/31/12 IU Mini Marathon Bloomington, IN
  • 4/21/2012 Carmel Half Marathon Carmel, IN
  • 4/28/2012 KDF Mini Marathon Louisville, KY
  • 5/5/2012 500 Festival Mini Marathon Indianapolis, IN

1 comment: