Monday, May 23, 2011

2011 Geist Half Marathon Report

For starters, I could go on and on about my love for this race.....and I will a little bit.
For a race in only the fifth year of existence, the Geist Half Marathon has a special "thing" going. A beautiful area, great fan support, brilliant organizers, and just a great event for all.
Amy and I got up to Indy Friday night, a little late for the packet pickup. We went to our friends (I feel they have accepted me by now) Ben and Todd's house for the usual good time. They are both always welcoming and gracious enough to let us board at their home for the weekend of Geist. (We may need to stay again for Carmel). After some great conversation and eating some awesome pizza from Jackamo's pizza, I got my gear ready (wore the new Ghost 5 I am wear testing for Brooks) and went to sleep for an early morning "Run Around the Reservior."
Amy and I got up early and made our way to Hamilton Southeastern High School to ensure I could pickup my packet. Of course, the organizers are so well-prepared, there was no line or worry at all. I pinned on my bib and got ready to meet Thomas across the parking lot. All runners are shuttle to the "no parking" start line to avoid any confusion or congestion. This is always a smooth and easy process, both to the start line and back from the finish.
We arrived at the start about 15 minutes early. The weather is usually a little gloomy with a light rain, and about 55 degrees. Today was a little different; the sun was out and temps were a little warm at 65 degrees. No worries, the sun made the area that much more beautiful. After the annual beautiful singing of the national anthem by Brooke Roe (Fisher's own the opens for Kenny Chesney), an awesome fly by, and an official start by IU and Subway's Jared Fogle, Thomas and I were off to 13.1 miles of beauty. here is how the race went from my perspective:

Mile 1-3: After the race start, three planes flew back by with a amazing smoke screen display, a good way to take the runner's mind off the initial uphill stretch. We ran through a beautiful neighborhood with great supporters and a view of the reservoir, then over the first bridge. I was feeling good with the  upcoming hills in mind. Average pace was around 7:06/mi.

Miles 4-6: This was a really good up hill stretch full of support. Nothing but green nature all around. I recognized this was a gradual uphill climb but said nothing until we got to the top. I looked over at Thomas and gave a congrats. The toughest challenge was in the next stretch of the race and was were passing runners. Average pace was around 7:09/mi.

Miles 7-10: This section started off with a much deserved downhill reward, followed by about a mile of climbing hills through a beautiful neighborhood with supporters, both residents and military; thank you as always. The refreshing part aside from the hydration stops were the misting points and the residents with waters hoses. I needed this because my thighs were screaming after the hill. My mindset was to maintain, maintain, maintain. Average pace was around 7:10/mi.

Miles 11-13.1: This was a tough stretch for me, not on the route, but to keep up the pace through the finish. My thighs were a little weary, the sun was out and temps were warm. I pictured Amy at the finish line with a pint of chocolate milk and kicked it in gear. We turned the corner and crossed the bridge toward the finish line. I reached down for one last burst and made a mad dash for the line. Average pace was around 7:10/mi. Whew, another race complete, and another great experience at Geist, which I look forward to in 2012!
Here are the results:
 

After crossing the finish, runners were welcomed to a top-notch finisher's medal, water, bananas, cookies, and my all-time fave, chocolate milk. We arrived at the shuttle line, which appeared to be a lengthy, timely wait. Have I mentioned how organized this race was? The line was a breeze and we were back to the car in minutes.
I love this race, I love this area, and I love that not only the residents of the neighborhood get up to support runners, military members volunteer to maintain traffic control. I find myself saying "thank you" more during this run, compared to any other. No matter the weather or other elements, this course is beautiful and well supported. Again, I say thank you to Mr. Tom Britt, the organizers, the volunteers and the residents for putting on the most organized, well laid out race I have experienced. You have a gorgeous area of the country and I will be back every year!
 

Normally I have feedback in some aspect for a race organizers. The only thing I can think of is to extend the Friday hours of the expo, for participants the had to work then drove up; however, we had no problems picking up the packet pre-race Saturday morning.
Next up for me is the Downhill at Dawn 1/2 Marathon in Ridgecrest, NC, June 4th. I will continue looking for more races and more states to run. Until next time:

HAPPY RUNNING!!!!!
http://jamesrunsthenation.blogspot.com/

4 comments:

  1. OK.. I've never even heard of that race... & since its close (I'm in Louisville myself) - I'm going to have to remember it for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice race report! I was there running as well (my first half!). My time was considerably longer then yours - but I was happy to finish. I'm glad to hear that you liked the organization. I thought it was wonderful, but I didn't have anything to compare it to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job and article. As always very proud!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I have to say that I just found your blog, completely by accident. I'm so inspired I'm kinda in tears. Will read with interest. Thanks for giving me some focus. I'm only up to about 6-7 miles and want to run a mini for my birthday in Sept. You make me feel like it can be done. Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete