Tuesday, June 7, 2011

2011 Downhill @ Dawn 1/2 Marathon Ridge Crest, NC

What a long, eventful weekend filled with a beautiful drive, a great race with a PR, the Biltmore Mansion and Gatlinburg. Ames and I seem to cover a lot of territory on our weekend excursions. This trip was up to Ridgecrest, North Carolina, where the people are nice, the scenery is beautiful and the land is truly blessed by our maker. I knew the Downhill @ Dawn Half Marathon would produce a good time; however, the sights, conversation and people made our trip begin on a positive note!
The drive from Louisville was approximately 6 hours, with a few stops along the way. The last hour toward NC is very tense but majestic. Weaving through windy roads requires a ton of focus, which takes away from enjoying the scenic route! After passing through Asheville, Saturday afternoon's destination, our arrival at the Ridgecrest Conference Center was welcoming and our check in was a breeze.
Amy and I visited the Black Mountain area for dinner along with coffee from an excellent place called the Dripolator. Good stuff for such a small scale area in the mountains of NC. We went back to the hotel and it was bedtime.
I woke up at about 5am Saturday morning to the start line, right outside our hotel door. The weekend was warm and humid and I was hydrating accordingly. I woke Amy up gave her a kiss and went to the line with around 350 other early morning runners. Instead of the normal National Anthem, we said the Lord's Prayer before the start. I looked over and saw my wife, blew her a kiss, and started off on a beautiful morning run through the mountains. Aside from some "nervous" cramps, I felt ready to race. Here is how my run went:

Miles 1-3: We started on the Ridgecrest Conference Center campus, downhill, around, then out the gate. There were a few challenging hills in this stretch. One stands out to me after the turnaround at mile 2 and the mile 3 marker. I vividly remember a supporter shouting, "this is the last hill!" That was good to hear! I felt good through this leg of the run. From talking to other runners before the race, I knew the first 3 miles were the most challenging. My body was feeling great and I was putting out a lot of energy for not knowing the course. Pace averaged around 6:58/mi.

Miles 4-8: From road to packed dirt, this was an interesting stretch. I usually avoid talking during races; however the guy that finished right behind me, from Asheville sparked a 2 mile conversation. He filled me in on the challenges to come then put his headphones back in and went back to work. Throughout this stretch down the mountain, I was extremely cautious, but still felt like I was flying. All downhill and around curves, I was averaging a pace over 7:00/mi. I was feeling great and had cruise control in full effect.

Miles 9-11: Back on pavement and around curves, I read a sign that reminded us of the history of the land we are so blessed to run this race on; a Civil War trail. This was motivating on many levels, to think of the soldiers that made sacrifices so long ago. I arrived at mile ten, where I knew the last hill awaited. I conquered and carried on to mile 11. I conserved some energy but the heat took care of that. I was still averaging a 7:00 minute mile.

Miles 12-13.1: I knew I had a small stretch left to the finish and I had the energy left for just that. I set my sights on one runner after another, setting a goal to pass each one. The last stretch was turning a corner and a straightaway to the finish. I knew where it was and gave my all to average under a 6:42/mi pace during this final portion of my run. I saw Amy with her camera, I smiled and waived, then I looked up at my time as I finished... Another PR!!!!! Here are the results:

Official Finish Time: 1:29:35 (PR)
Average Pace: 6:50/mi
Overall Place: 11 of 350
Division Place (30-34): 2 of 175

Although this race was mostly downhill, I was really proud of my effort, place and another PR. Of the six half marathons I have completed in 2011, I have set three PRs. While these times are a result of dedication and hard work in a hobby I absolutely love, I am surprised and proud every time I see the clock at the finish line.

To the Downhill @ Dawn 1/2 Marathon in Ridgecrest, North Carolina. Only in its fourth year, I liked many qualities of this race. From the small field of 350 runners, to the location and the sights, to the organizers, tech shirts, medal and supporters, there was not much I did not like. This was not a race where supporters are seen throughout (besides the occassional mountain man LOL!); however, the start and finish were well supported with some of the nicest people you will find, including the organizer, Ron Pratt. The trophy company put some 2010 plates on the awards and Mr. Pratt stepped up and assured recipients the would be provided the correct plates. I appreciate the good people at Ridgecrest for putting on a quality race. Mr. Pratt mentioned at the start the race started four years ago with 6 runners and has grown to an unexpected number over these last four years. Mr. Pratt, keep doing what you're doing and this race will double again in 2012. I hope I can help!
Tips for the Organizers: Due to the small scale, I did not expect an extravagant event as seen in bigger cities with bigger fields. While the mile markers were not timed, they were seeable. I would put a clock at the 10K, half, or 10 mile marker as a measuring stick for runners. The water stops were plenty; however, the guys working the tables in the first half on the race were not handing out cups, so I passed them by. Handing cups to runners cuts down on congestion and confusion and avoids slowing down the faster runners looking to meet a goal.
Thank you for a great race in a truly blessed and beautiful part of the country.
Next up for me is the Inaugural Carmel Half Marathon this weekend in Carmel, Indiana.


This will wind down my race season until the heat subsides. Be sure to subscribe and follow me throughout these travels!.

HAPPY RUNNING!!!!!
http://jamesrunsthenation.blogspot.com/

3 comments:

  1. Another great job, running and writing. Love you. Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you will have to start buying plane tickets to get your states in! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Job James, I'll have to step it up this fall if another PR is in order !!!

    ReplyDelete