Sunday, April 22, 2012

2012 Carmel Half Marathon Results

Another great weekend for running and I was happy to be in Indy for the 2012 Carmel Championship Weekend. This is a great event for all levels and all different distances, especially if you like running through a nice area!
Packet pickup was a struggle again this year for us with no morning pickup time. We were driving from home and trying to get to the MONON Community Center in Carmel and it was tough. I sent the organizers a message on Facebook and received an immediate response. They assured me I would be taken care of, which was much appreciated. Luckily, when we realized we would not make it, we contacted friend Todd Hawks, who generously drove from Indy to get my packet. What an awesome person (he had to put up with us and Cali all weekend).
Race morning arrived and I knew weather would be chilly, but ideal, at 40 degrees. Kudos to the race organizers for moving the race up two months with race time temps in the 70's in 2011. Event organizer Todd Oliver announced before the start this would be the date moving forward. I believe this was a good decision and opens up many possibilities for a "Triple Crown of Indy Half Marathons" in the Indianapolis area with Carmel, the Indy 500 Mini, and Geist all consecutively two weeks apart. Participants would likely commit to all three and pay a little more if there was an overall medal given.
Back to my race. Parking was simple race day morning. I arrived 30 minutes before start and parked in the first spot in the parking garage. This is a huge improvement over last year when runners were shuttled in from a remote area. I believe the development of the real estate in the area made this possible. There seemed to be less construction. As I headed to the start line, I was chilled by the wind. I ran a relaxed one mile and approached the start. The color guard and the national anthem were beautiful, then runners were off. Here is how my race went:
Miles 1-3: This first part of the 2012 Carmel Half/Full Marathon I realized something - I am not sure if I have ever heard so many people talking while running but this energy and happiness was awesome. Miles 1 and 2 are a straight shot gradually up then down a hill, then turns into a neighborhood before an up and back turn around. This was tough from a stride and a pace view due to slowing down and immediately changing direction. I ran 2 sub 7 minute miles in this leg of my race. I felt efficient and kept form at the front of my mind averaging a 7 minute pace.
Miles 4-6: I enjoyed leg 2 where last year a the 5 mile mark I had to walk and regroup. I recognized that very spot. Feeling strong, I smiled and ran right past it. Though this leg, runners climb a hill for roughly 2 miles. What I like about this course is there are so many turns, the hills are not noticeable. I slowed a little averaging a 7:07 pace. I was feeling incredible throughout the first half of my race and knew a good time would be the result.
Miles 7-10: The third leg of my race began through a neighborhood then onto the MONON trail. I like the naturistic feel of the trail, which I hear will be one day connected to the trail I run in Bloomington, IN. This part of the race is where runners are to themselves and find out how much they have left for the finish. As for me, form and breathing were great and I was confident with the fuel I had left in my body. I averaged around a 7:07 pace for these four miles and was ready for a fast finish.
Miles 11-13.1: Splits were mile 11 @ 7:02 pace, mile 12 @ 6:55 pace, mile 13 @ 6:34 pace, and finished at a 5:55 pace. WOW! A couple turns then down Main Street through shoppes and buildings. I laughed at the statues of random people on the sidewalks - you do not know who was real! I was dashing toward the finish feeling so energized at my performance to this point in the race. No one was passing me and I would catch up to the nearest runner in my way. I remembered this race in 2011 where I was worn down and just wanting to finish. Today, I wanted to finish faster than ever, and I had plenty left to do so. While not as fast as Springfield, I crossed the finish 2 minutes faster than 2011 and I was happy! Here are the results:

Official time: 1:32:24
Overall place: 34/1012
Sex place: 31/497
Division (30-34) place: 10/72
Overall pace: 7:04/mi


After I crossed and as expected, I noticed Chocolate milk, my favorite post race reward! The finisher's medals were well designed and reflected the Earth Day Weekend, which was neat. I walked and stretched and was very satisfied with one of my most efficient, well-ran races yet. GetMeRegistered.com had a both set up where runners could immediately get unofficial results (all races should have this) and free massages were provided. I took advantage of both!
I am often amazed by how performance affects a persons perspective on their satisfaction of a race, the route and organization - I am living proof. Last year I struggled and was happy just to finish, which deterred my attention from the beauty of this course and the area of town that hosts it. This year, I was feeling great and running faster, but still looked around to notice the greenery and nature runners were provided with. While this course will not woo you with bridges, tall buildings, nor rivers and lakes, the architecture of the start/finish area, the greenery of the lawns and other well kept areas, and the streams through MONON trail are enough to make this event special. Thank you to Todd Oliver and his staff for hosting a great event and the volunteers, police and military folks for smiling and inspiring runners to get through to the finish line. Upgrades and improvements were obvious differences between 2011 and 2012 with better tech shirts, parking and participant voting on the finisher's medals. I appreciate being part of a great event and look forward to the years ahead. Another good effort was the Twitter updates the day prior, early in the morning and throughout the day, to keep runners informed of events (@CarmelMarathon). Good stuff!


TIP for the ORGANIZERS:
All events have room to improve, especially the newer ones. The organizers of the Carmel Half are always willing to listen and put participant feedback into their race. 

  • As I said earlier, I suggest a "triple crown" or the "1,2,3 of Indy" with Carmel, Indy 500 Mini, and Geist all having two weeks separating them. With two of the three having small fields, this may generate more interest and benefit the other two.
  • Water stops. Late in the half, runners passed a water stop with cups sat up all nice and neat. While this was pretty and I am sure they worked hard, volunteers at this stop need to hand the drinks to runners instead of expecting them to stop to pick one up. Otherwise, when runners attempt to grab a cup, a bunch of others are spilled.
  • Directions. The mile or two before entering the trail, a runner was lost. I noticed he passed a volunteer and said "thanks for pointing me in the wrong direction!" I had to ask about four times in different locations if I was going the right way. I know volunteers are limited and signs cannot go everywhere; however, in any questionable area, spray something on the pavement. If Carmel supports this race as they should, this will not be an issue.
  • Timing Clocks: The timing clocks were off the mile markers which was confusing. With miles marked for the half and the full, I was already confused. I would put the timing devices on one of the two mile markers.
  • Packet Pickup. A Saturday morning packet pickup would a really considerate implementation. With all the space around the start and now close parking, this would be beneficial to runners.



Carmel marks my 27th half marathon with many more to come. Up next is my hometown race - the 2012 Kentucky Derby Mini Marathon, then back to Indy for the 500 Festival Mini. For all coming to Louisville, KY for the KDF Mini, welcome to a great race that has been around for a while. The Expo is huge and the course is scenic so get ready for an awesome experience, Derby-style!
 


HAPPY RUNNING!!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Haha, I noticed the random statues too! They were a little creepy on the nearly-empty streets of downtown Carmel.

    Great race time, and nice post! I agree this was a great race.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for your blog James ~ we will take note of your suggestions for next year ~ and you're absolutely right, there is always room for improvements!

    We appreciate your feedback!!

    Congrats on a great run yesterday ~ and we look forward to seeing you at the 2012 Carmel Marathon Championship Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. of course I mean 2013 Race Weekend.... It was a long day yesterday.... forgive my typo!

    ReplyDelete