Monday, April 9, 2012

2012 Presidential Half Marathon & IU Alumni Mini Marathon

2012 IU Alumni Mini 3/31/2012 Bloomington, IN
Some may wonder why  I did not write about my race, 3/31/12, in Bloomington in the IU Alumni Half Marathon. Well, I started to but a lot of negativity came out - the organizers took medals away and gave out pint glasses and a few other reasons. However, the negativity did go away quickly due to the way I felt and the energy of the volunteers, which really make this race a good one. I like the course, through IU's campus and up and over some tough hills; however, its going to be tough for me to want to participate in this one again. The race feels geared toward the students habits of drinking and partying, not for a person that likes to travel to races. The expo is minimal and the online registration and results are tough finds and very unorganized. All that aside, I was happy with my performance:
Official Finish Time: 1:35:22
Overall Average Pace: 7:17/mi
Overall: 111 of 530
Age: 6th place

2012 Lincoln Presidential Half 4/7/2012 Springfield, IL
Now this was an awesome experience. A little disappointing at first because Ames' parent did not go; however, they really missed out on an educational experience and we'll them in. Springfield, IL is about 5-1/2 hours from Louisville with a fairly plain drive, whether heading toward St. Louis or Indy. We took the STL route and hit Route 66 in Springfield, which was pretty cool. The packet pick up was fairly small but full of free goodies and super nice people. We received a tech shirt, a commemorative poster, and a few other things from vendors. The way there and back was full of sites - I was astounded by the preservation of the Old Capitol Building and the size of the new one. After the packet pickup we walked around the Capitol Building and took numerous pictures. Next we headed to the Cozy Dog Drive In, where the "Hot Dog on a Stick" or corn dog, was invented, then to Bernie & Betty's Pizza for the pre-race dinner - a salad and a pizza pie!
I woke up extra early on race day and went to Starbuck's for a boost. We got ready and Ames, Cali and I headed out. We arrived at the start about 30 minutes early - parking was easy - and I prepped. I felt very good like I would do extremely well. I headed to the start line, running my new 1/2 mile ritual. I was ready. I saw the Half Fanatics group of Michael Hoyt, Dave Mari and others, took some pictures and I was ready to run! Abe talked to the group and one quote stood out: "They say good things come to those who wait, but what they get are the leftovers for those who hustle!" That stuck with me as the National Anthem played and I said my prayer. Here is how my race was ran:
Miles 1-3: As I said, I woke up feeling great, my pre-race warm-up felt great, and the first 3 were no different. Runners headed toward the only house Lincoln ever owned then toward the beautiful Capitol building. My paces were fantastic: 6:42, 7:04, and 6:59. I was feeling a little rough due to this speedy rate. I noticed the first mile and was sure it was a mistake; however, training and hard work increased my confidence in this pace.
Miles 4-6: Possibly my favorite stretch of the race, we headed through Washington Park via beautiful neighborhoods, the greenest grass and pretty waterways. The latter part was down and back up a hill but I was not feeling it. I soaked up the history and the beauty of this majestic route in its entirety. Paces slowed a little but negatively split: 7:07, 7:04, and 6:53. This place was simply beautiful!
Miles 7-10: This was a quick portion of the race for me, maybe because at mile 7, I mentally picture the rest of the race downward sloping: 6:59, 6:52, 6:58, and 7:14. I believe  7, 8, and into 9 were nearly straight and downhill - a great reward going into a challenging finish - and I knew history was ahead. This is the portion of the race where I find out if I will last or crash - I felt fantastic! Knowing I had plenty left in the tank, I turned into Oak Ridge Cemetery toward the final resting place of the 16th President of the US, Abraham Lincoln. I was inspired by the hard work and dedication Abe put into his life and career and just kept running hard. On to the last leg of my race.
Miles 11-13.1: The last 2.1 was a flash but are very vivid in my memory. They went by quick due to my fast paces: 7:00, 7:00 and 6:55. Again, through beautiful parks and trails to Lincoln Park and toward the finish. While heading downtown, my head was held high and I felt strong as ever! So I dashed to the finish line determined to come in under 1:32, and I did! Here are the results:
Bib Number: 571
Official Time: 1:31:57
Average Pace: 7:01/mi
Overall Place: 49 of 1434
Gender Place: 44 of 670
Age Group: 8 of 113
I had a great feeling going into and throughout this race. To run where Lincoln walked, getting to see sites, I was motivated to produce a great output. The medal, a big shiny penny was one of my best yet and the tech shirt was a unique color. What more could you ask for?
I loved this race. The volunteers were great, the organizers did phenomenal, the expo was small but the people were very nice, and the goodies were fantastic. The drive was a little distant; however, for the experience my wife and I had in Springfield with the history of corn dogs and Lincoln, I would do it again. Thank you for the hospitality, an amazing time and a nearly perfectly organized race.
Tips for the Organizers: Well, none! Oh wait, my favorite, chocolate milk, could have been waiting at the finish.
This is where my race schedule thickens. After the upcoming off weekend, I have Carmel, IN, my home race the Derby Festival Mini Marathon, then, the Indy 500 Festival Mini.
What a fantastic hobby I love so much!

Lastly is the cause I run for. Please take the time to go to the link below and contribute to a truly amazing cause. The link will give you the KIDS Center's purpose and goal of how no child is turned away. Any amount is appreciated!
http://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/catsforkids/WalkandRollforKids2012

HAPPY RUNNING!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Nice race and report! What's the next state you plan to check off the list?

    ReplyDelete