Sunday, April 29, 2012

2012 KDF Mini Marathon Results & Review


2012 KDF Mini Marathon Results & Review
My hometown race and the fifth consecutive year I have participated in the Kentucky Derby Festival mini Marathon. Familiar sites of Louisville's downtown skyline, the best arena in NCAA basketball in the YUM! Center, historic Churchill Downs, and the artsy-ness and vintage while modern style of our city with projects in motion, buildings and old Victorian mansions. This is always a great race for me due to the pride I take in my hometown and the effort the organizers put into the Kentucky Derby Festival Mini and Full Marathon. Always a race that will rank up there with the best.
This year was different for me in a couple ways. The balloon race was cancelled so there was no poster-esque moment when looking behind us at the start line and my mind was not really on running. There was an 18,000, record-setting participant field; however, my success in running disciplines me to never look back at the runners behind me, only to set my sights on those ahead, so I did not see them. I thought of my family and the great person we lost in Scott Loyall and the strength my sister and my nieces have shown over the past week. Throughout the race, I pictured him and my family's smiling faces at the finish and the big hug I was going to give them all. Yep, I did well. My time was close to a PR, and I ran with a heavy heart, which I let guide me for 13.1.
I woke up a little late and quickly made my way to downtown Louisville, where I knew parking would be a little tough. I parked a little less than a mile away. I slowly warmed up by running this distance toward the start line, where the streets were flooded with runners. I made my way to Corral A and got into my pre-race routine. I was not feeling the best. In fact, I was nervous for the first time in a while. Our National Anthem was proudly sang and I said a prayer for my family and I. After the call to the post, it was off to the races. Here is how my race went:

Miles 1-3: The start line was crowded with some of the quickest local runners and familiar faces seen at many Louisville races and they would prove to be quick as expected. As the cannon went off, I knew I was rolling; however, I felt pretty numb. I admit, I stayed in deep thought throughout this race with little distraction. This leg of the course is flat with a couple of turns. While only scenic at the beginning, the crowd support makes up for it. I felt no issues and took notice of the quick pace. I knew a good time would be posted. Paced averaged 6:51/mi. WOW!

Mile 4-6: Runners approach Old Louisville at this stage of this race and really get a great idea of the support Louisvillans give to the KDF race. Whether handing out water or fruit or just cheering, we have one of the most supported races I have participated in, up there with Cincy's Flying Pig. Like I said before, I was really numb and had no issues. Here and there I would snap out of it when I noticed funny signs or cheering kids and I would give them high fives. All was good with my body and I was rolling. I kept picturing the smiling faces I would see at the finish and I would get a little amped. I did notice the mile markers and thought this race was going by really fast. Again, pace averaged 6:51/mi! Could I really maintain this?

Miles 7-10: Runners get a good view of UofL's campus and crowd supporters are in full stride to energize runners as they approach Churchill Downs. On the way in, I saw my friends Thomas and LJ Hines in a different view. Normally, Thomas is right next to me running. Mile 8 was ran through, around and out of the track, which is pretty cool for out-of-towners. For me, I see that mile 9 marker and gauge how much I have left to finish. I gave Thomas a high five at 3rd and Central and he juiced me up with cheers and yells. I still felt good physically as I headed back toward UofL and downtown toward the river. We had wind in our faces but a downhill straight away to the Ohio. I could not believe how fast the mileage markers approached, one after another. Pace averaged 6:53/mi.

Miles 11-13.1: A straight shot north and only two turns to the finish. I thought more and more about the goings on of the past week, seeing my family in a matter of minutes and found strength to increase my pace to get there faster. Not sure why, but the turn off 3rd to Main toward the finish seems like an extremely long stretch. I had no idea of the time I was about to post until taking the last left turn toward the finish line. Wow, I had run hard the entire way and noticed the seconds ticking toward 1:30:00 - I wanted to beat that mark. I notice my family on the left, dug deep and thought this is for them. I geared up and dashed toward a sub-1:30 time. Here are my splits: mile 11 6:55, mile 12 6:47, mile 13 6:31. Pretty awesome but even more emotional. My brother gave me strength and pushed me to a near PR time. Here are my official results:

Distance
HALF MAR
Clock Time
1:29:51
Chip Time
1:29:41
Overall Place
181 / 12104
Gender Place
154 / 5165
Division Place
32 / 761
Age Grade
66.1%
10K
42:37
Pace
6:51

I knew where my family was so after the finish I made my way back to them. I knew I was sweaty but still hugged them all. After all they had been through this week, all I wanted to do on this day was make them proud and maybe provide a little inspiration that everything was going to be okay, and I hope I did. My performance came from their strength and for the memory of a great friend, brother, husband, and father - an awesome person. They were with me the entire 13.1 and provided energy and strength for me to do well. All this, and I missed my PR, a personal best time, by just six seconds. I did beat my personal best in the KDF Mini by 16 seconds! Thank you sis and girls for this. You all are amazing people and truly an inspiration.

The organization, crowd support and volunteers for Louisville's KDF Mini were awesome, as expected. I loved the design of the participant shirts and the finisher's medal. This transition of the Mini out of Iroquois Park has been a success; however, I still love the challenge of those hills in the park. Our start and finish go above and beyond the majority of routes I have run in the US. This year felt as if the organizers set runners up for success - I PR'd, the Mini record was broken, and the participant field was larger than ever! Thank you for that.
TIPS FOR THE ORGANIZERS
There was not too much I noticed this year but we all have room to improve:

  • Gear Check - it seemed to be placed in the dead center of the corrals and needs to be moved off Main Street. Since Slugger Field was not allowing people to park there, and their lot was completely empty, I would move Gear Check there.
  • Parking - Why Slugger Field did not open up their parking lot is a huge question among participants. There was no utilization of the parking spots in that lot before or after the race. In addition, a long stretch of Witherspoon was shut down before and after the race. Both of these areas could be used for parking, which would have cut down on congestion.
  • Water Stops - Still sticking with this plastic cups, eh? I do not like them at all. I understand the recycling aspect, but paper cups can be recycled as well. And, they are easier for runners to drink from.
  • Post Race Refreshments - Chocolate milk is my all time favorite and there was none to be found. This would be a great addition for 2013.... please.

I take pride in this race and believe the Kentucky Derby Festival miniMarathon is one of the best races in the country. We have a huge Expo with tons of merchandise and vendors, awesome swag, a great sight-seeing course, sweet finisher's medals, and a scenic finish. Thank you KDF organizers and volunteers for making 2012 a great experience. For the 40th anniversary of the Mini in 2013, I expect you guys to do it big and give participants duffle bags at the packet pickup expo. That would be awesome! I will register as soon as it opens regardless!

Next weekend will mark my 30th half marathon as a participant, in the 500 Festival Mini, in Indianapolis. I hope and pray for safety and many more races to come. Thank you to my wife, mom, sister, nieces and all other friends and family for your support. I love you and you keep me doing what I do. I love to run and hope I make you proud. You are my foundation and I appreciate you.

HAPPY RUNNING!!!!!
 #30

5 comments:

  1. James, with this being my first race of this length I greatly appreciated your suggestions and inspiration while training for the race. The one thing I was surprised about was the lack of port-a-pots near the start. I heard several people say the same thing. Consequently I had to stop just past 3 miles in to "get comfortable". This unfortuntely kept me from running my goal of sub 2 hours in my first race. I hope they hear this suggestion as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely agree. This is another way the Slugger Field parking lot could have been used.
    The bright side, you have a goal for the next race! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post James, our thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.
    I would also like to add that race organizers get rid of the plastic bags given out at the expo, maybe a canvis UPS bag with goodies and a race shirt would work.
    I think introducing a 2 person relay to the KDF Marathon would bring more runners back to Southern Parkway and Iroquois Park, something the residents of Southern Parkway has wanted since the course changed a couple years ago.
    I won't miss this race next year, hopefully i'll be teamed up with you James in the 2 person relay with the team name " Mileage Junkies" !!!

    Thomas Hines
    JustLuv2Run

    ReplyDelete
  4. As always you make me proud. And I am Scott is looking down at you and smiling that big ole smile. I love you!!!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome race James, way to maintain a consistent pace. I agree about the hard plastic cups. They are impossible to drink from while running and you can't form a spout with them like you can a paper cup. They are even worse than bottles. I lost several seconds at each water stop because of the cups they used.

    ReplyDelete