Thursday, April 29, 2010

Getting ready for the PIG!



Four days have passed since my last run in the Kentucky Derby Festival Mini Marathon when I set a PR and today I got back at it. I ran a short 3-miler today to loosen up after four days of R&R. Yep I have worked, but I have taken the time to allow my body to repair for another race. I ran a relaxing 7:29 pace, which felt great. I may throw another in Saturday before we head out for the PIG.
Sunday, I will be running in Cincinnati's Annual Flying Pig Marathon. This race is known as America's funnest first half/full. The logos and medals are unique and the goodie bags are second to none. Here is a little more:
Competing at the Highest Level...
The Cincinnati Flying Pig Marathon has made a mark being the third-largest first-time marathon in the country. Welcoming athletes of all running abilities, this is a race where you can find personal reward.
Hospitality at the Highest Level...
Beyond the race itself there is a full weekend of activities and events for the whole family to enjoy. Greater Cincinnati welcomes you with the best hospitality it has to offer. In its October 1999 issue, Cincinnati Magazine pronounced the marathon "The best of the best", a "keeper".
Support at the Highest Level....
Over 25 support stations and entertainment all along the course make the Flying Pig Marathon one of the premier marathons in the country.
Organization at the Highest Level...
Race organizers possess the experience and the passion needed to have Runners World magazine refer to the Flying Pig as a "text book case on how to organize a major marathon."
TIP: Some guidelines say that you should take one day easy for every mile you raced ... that being said ... you should be ready to hit the training again within two weeks. 20 weeks is really a pretty long schedule considering that you already are capable of 1/2 marathon distance. I have done 12, 14, and 16 week programs ... and they are plenty long enough.
My suggestion would be to take it easy ... and see how you feel during these next couple of weeks ..
HAPPY RUNNING!

1 comment:

  1. I have a buddy that is doing the full marathon this weekend. It's his first attempt at a full...looks like he picked a great race!

    ReplyDelete