Saturday, April 24, 2010

KDF Mini Results - a new PR!



Today's Kentucky Derby Festival Mini marathon was near perfect. I ran with a good friend, Thomas Hines, the weather was ideally refreshing, and I set a new PR for the half. My results are as follows:

Overall Time 1:38:54

Gender Place 294 of 4622 (males)

Division Place 49 of 655 (age 30-34)

Overall Place 337 of 15000 (10748 finishers)

Through 10K 47:08

Through 15K 1:11:36

Overall Pace 7:32.9 min/mi

This race was an efficient one. This is the first race I had a negative split and I believe it worked really well! We started easy and smooth and maintained through 13.1. Thomas was running with an IT issue so he really held back. After all, he just ran a full marathon at in Boston Monday. Just before mile 12, we knew I was near a PR and he encouraged me to go ahead and set it. I gave it all I had the rest of the way. The downhill of Preston Street, where the finish is in sight, I was so pumped up. It was me and the clock. Everyone disappeared, the noise silenced, and I went for it. My eyes were locked on the clock the entire way. When I crossed, I gave a Tiger Woods-like fist pump because I knew I had done it! This was a great accomplishment for me due to the few injuries I have dealt with and how hard I have worked. This is the first race where I honestly felt no struggle whatsoever.
To make this day even more special, Ames, Mom, my sis and my three nieces were at the finish cheering me on. Additionally, I ran with a really good friend in Tom. KDF is one of my favorite races just because when I complete it, my family is at the finish to give me a hug. I love you all so much!
Thomas and I will do it all over again next weekend in the Flying Pig Marathon in Cincinnati, OH. This is known for its hills but also for how fun it is! Stay tuned.....

Thomas Hines: "Holy Crap!!! Just checked the results for the Derby Mini and I finished 370/10,738. James left me at 1 mile to go and passed 35 runners to finish 335/10,738 and he set a PR ... Great Run James !!!"

HAPPY RUNNING!

1 comment: